Photo: Valerie Paulsgrove
Words: David Carter
Celebration played a superb free show at The Patterson in February, courtesy of The Creative Alliance. I set out for this event early, or so I thought, until it became clear that the nearest parking space to this mobbed venue was a good mile away. So, I sadly missed their opening set, an acoustic percussion-centric jam in a densely crowded front gallery area. Happily, I did get the entirety of this electric set on the back stage. In keeping with Celebration’s insistence upon giving all of their music away for free lately, they have allowed us to hand this beauty over to you all in its entirety.
This is a fine representative Celebration set that rattles off many of the reasons why they draw such a massive local following (and create such miserable local traffic conditions). Cool, collected musical skill and raw intensity collide in a magical way, creating spiky contrasts that spin and swerve through the room. Their sound is defiant and stylized without ever coming off as stilted, never losing a grip on the groove factor. As usual, the visual cortex was not reglected, the stage dressed lavishly in white lace and murky colored light. Special thanks to photographer Valerie Paulsgrove for the image above, click through that picture for more of her fantastic stills from this session. These photos were originally featured on the excellent Bmore Musically Informed blog, another indispensible site tracking and nurturing the Baltimore music scene. Thanks for sharing!
Listen freely, and support Celebration back. They are subsidizing our (raging, problematic) music habits for miles around with these free shows, free tracks; unique goodness that we can’t ever get from anyone else.
Live @ The Patterson
February 26, 2010
Baltimore MD, USA
1. Pony (5:38)
2. Junky (5:30)
3. What’s This Magical (5:55)
4. Battles (6:18)
5. Honeysuckle Blue (6:01)
6. Great Pyramid (5:25)
7. Kilimanjaro (6:06)
8. I Will Not Fall (4:44)
9. Fly the Fly (4:18)
10. Heartbreak (7:39)
11. In This Land (5:25)
Total time: 1:03:05
AKG 414 mid/side pair -> Zoom h4n 48/24 -> Nuendo (stereo encoding, limiting) -> MP3
David Carter (email@example.com)
- Livewire: The Multiphonic Choir @ The Windup Space (2010.01.14)Photo: David Carter The Multiphonic Choir played Thursday night at...
- Livewire: Lake Trout @ the Ottobar (2010.01.16)Photo credit: David Carter Lake Trout is a longtime Baltimore...
- Livewire: Avec @ the Ottobar (2010.01.16)Photo: Linda Kokenge Avec is four-piece rock band from Baltimore...
- Livewire: Solar Powered Sun Destroyer @ The Red & The Black (2010.01.08)Photo: David Carter Solar Powered Sun Destroyer is a DC...
- Livewire: Caspian @ The Red & The Black (2010.01.08)Photo: David Carter Caspian is a fierce instrumental rock band...