MP3: Height With Friends – Cold Crush from the upcoming LP Bed of Seeds (2010) on Friends Records
Height With Friends plays the Windup Space with The Snails, Dope Body, and King Rhythm on Sat Mar 20. Doors @ 9PM, $7 cover.
Height is on a roll. Not only did he and his Friends drop some free knowledge on everyone earlier this week via the release of a free EP (Druid Hill Lake), but he also bids our fair city a temporary farewell with a tour send-off show this Saturday (the show is formerly known as a record release party). The crew hits the road on tour with Nuclear Power Pants.
Due to some unforeseen circumstances, the release of his next LP, Bed of Seeds, had to be delayed. Fortunately, the latest EP is culled from those tracks, so you get a good sense of what they have to offer. Let us add one more bell to that Pavlovian response as we premiere “Cold Crush.”
On Bed of Seeds, Dan and his cohorts’ impeccable ear for quality samples and beats has broadened to include a wider and more dynamic range, stretching from the expected territories of blues and soul, into the frontiers of gentle acoustic balladry and bubbly pop melodies. “Cold Crush” features a simple, smoldering sax line to back Height’s reflective narration on hip-hop pioneers The Cold Crush Brothers’ brush with wider fame and recognition. The track is as much celebration as lamentation, its descending lines underscoring the group’s fading hopes of eventually nailing down mainstream success and exposure.
While not quite a household name in hip-hop, the influence of the Cold Crush is undeniable, from their infamous live performances and tapes, to a number of moments where they seemed on the brink of blowing up. Their most high-profile run-in occurred with a donated verse on classic anthem “Rapper’s Delight.” Member Grandmaster Caz hoped to get some reciprocation for his goodwill to Hank of the Sugar Hill Gang, but got no such love. Down the line, he eventually spoke his peace on the matter with the retort “MC Delight.”
3/31 Greenville, NC – Tipsy Teapot†
4/01 Raleigh, NC – Tir Na Nog†
4/02 Charleston, SC – Outer Space†
4/03 Athens, GA – Farm 255
4/04 Asheville, NC – New French Bar
4/05 Nashville, TN – The End
4/06 Knoxville, TN – Pilot Light
4/08 Milwaukee, WI – Eagle’s Nest
4/09 Minneapolis, MN*
4/10 Chicago, IL
4/11 Detroit, MI – Division Gallery
4/12 Kingston – The Mansion
4/13 Montréal, QC – Casa del Popolo
4/14 Burlington, VT – 242 Main
4/16 Boston, MA – The Cottage
4/17 Providence, RI – Building 16‡
4/18 Worcester, MA – Firehouse
4/21 Annandale-on-Hudson, NY – Bard College
4/22 Brooklyn, NY – Death By Audio
4/23 Philadelphia, PA – The Ox
4/24 Baltimore, MD – the Good Son
†w/ Lonnie Walker
*w/ Dan Deacon
‡w/ the Chinese Stars
- Aural States Fest II: Spotlights – Noble Lake, Vincent Black Shadow, Height With Friends[Audio clip: view full post to listen] MP3: Noble Lake...
- Album Review / Exclusive Audio: Height With Friends – Baltimore Highlands (Wham City)Enjoy these exclusive world premieres from Baltimore Highlands while you read...
- One Track Mind: New Untitled Track – Wye Oak (Live from Whartscape 2009)Just thought this deserved posting. Our Wye Oak love continues...
- Interview / Audio: Height With Friends’ Baltimore Highlands Remix Album, an Aural States Exclusive Release (w/ Dan Keech)Download the entire album: MP3 or FLAC Stream and download...
- Video: Height With Friends – “Mike Stone” | Double Dagger – “Vivre Sans Temps Mort”For the public interest, I thought I should take note...