Arbouretum’s Long Live the Well-Doer starts off with some stereotypically new-age string plucking accented by wind chimes. I immediately came up with an image of some hemp-pushing, mandala-worshipping yoga lover and almost chucked the disc in the trash.
But thankfully, I gave it a spin. And I never looked back.
Filled with wanderlust, Arbouretum’s brand of folk is among the best kind. Seemingly free-associative, but all the while guiding you on a lush journey through vast soundscapes that evolve from protoplasmic pieces to a brilliantly-shining, complex whole before your very ears.
Their music really speaks for itself. They front a spectacular bill tonight at the Talking Head, supported by
Kodiak PONTIAK, among others. Check out this track and then come on out and bask in their hard-to-come-by live show tonight.
MP3: Arbouretum – I am a Somnambulist from Long Live the Well-Doer
Not much really tickling my fancy this weekend in town other than Pony Pants…
Saturday Feb 16
- For those so inclined, Serj Tankian, the versatile voice of System of a Down, plays Rams Head Live. He is shilling his solo material which sounds remarkably similar to SoaD…maybe with just a little more ethnic flavor/diverse instrumentation. But I guess since System is on a sort of hiatus, this is better than nothing.
- DC’s Kodiak delivers some blues-flecked rock at Charm City Art Space. They do a killer cover of Social D’s “Ball and Chain” if they decide to tune before they play their set.
- Telenovela Star from NYC sound promising; at times, they channel the best of Sleater-Kinney with distorted guitars and vocals atop punishing drums. But really they are a bit harder to pigeonhole. They headline a show at the Metro Gallery with fellow New Yorkers Object and local boys the Payola Reserve.
Sunday Feb 17
- Top billing goes to the aforementioned Pony Pants show at Talking Head on Sunday.
- As much as I adore DC’s twin-fronted, cute-as-a-button twee-pop band Exit Clov, I don’t want to pay the cover for Against Me! in order to see Exit Clov’s opening set…
- If you are closer to DC, I recommend you head over to the Black Cat to check out DC’s own Death By Sexy playing their own brand of dirt-and-grime rock and roll along with our hometown kids in Fishnet Stalkers.
- And unfortunately, Linkin Park is still marching along doing their thing at 1st Mariner Arena…